Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Who runs the show around here?

Jaycoby just got up from nap. When he came out of his bedroom, I could tell by the look on his face, and the awesome bedhead he was sporting, that he hadn't fully woken up yet. He asked me to hold him, so we had some cuddles. Then he climbed down from my lap, went into the kitchen and pointed at a cupboard that has fruit snacks in it. When I told him that he was not going to have fruit snacks, but that I would get him a bowl of grapes, the meltdown began. It can take a lot of effort for this kid to cry, so it took a minute to work up some real tears. But he was very upset and crying pretty hard after a few moments. He sat in my lap, occasionally making requests for his fruit snacks and then getting upset again when I assured him that mommy's answer was not going to change. Then he looks up at me, without crying, like he'd just figured it all out. It went like this:

JAYCOBY: "Oh, I know what we do." (wiping away his tears)
MOMMY: "What are you talking about?"
J: "I want my fruit snacks."
M: "Jaycoby, I said no."
J: "I can have grapes now and fruit snacks with my dinner.....that's how it works, Mom".
M: GASP and cover my mouth so he can't see the smile I'm fighting
J: (Laughing) "I was just kidding, Mom". (I think he could tell by my reaction that what he'd said was funny, but that it was possibly something he could get in trouble for. It's always safe to cover your tracks with a "just kidding".)

Are you kidding me? He is telling ME how it will "work". What a turkey! Oh, and I thought I'd mention that he just said "Mom, I'd like some grapes please. Now I like grapes". Mother knows best :).

No comments: