Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is my blog burning???- Spicy Low Fat Chicken Fajitas


SPICY LOW FAT CHICKEN FAJITAS
From Cooks.com

INGREDIENTS
2 cooked boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes (not drained)- (these made it spicy enough for my liking)
1 bell pepper diced (I did 1 mild green pepper cut into strips instead)
1 onion (Vidalia is best), diced (I used what I had in my fridge- one white onion- actually I only diced 1/2 of it because Mike isn't real big on onions)
1 tomato, diced (I omitted this, we're not big tomato people)
cooking spray or 1 tsp. olive oil
corn tortillas (I used wheat and some homemade that a friend gave me)
sour cream (low-fat or fat-free)- optional
shredded cheddar cheese- optional

INSTRUCTIONS
Coat the skillet in cooking spray or 1 teaspoon of olive oil. On medium heat, add the diced bell pepper and onion to the skillet.
Sauté until the peppers have softened enough to be cut easily with a spatula. If the skillet becomes too dry, a few teaspoons of water may be added to prevent sticking.
Add the minced Garlic, diced tomato, and can of Rotel. While the above ingredients are cooking, shred and add cooked chicken to the skillet.
Cook until the juice from the Rotel has thickened. Set aside the cooked fajita filling in a covered bowl.
Heat the corn tortillas. Place fajita filling in the middle of your warm tortillas and serve. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.
This recipe is very easy to modify to your personal preferences. You can add or decrease ingredients as you like. Rice also makes an excellent addition to this meal.


VERDICT
Very good. The Rotel tomatoes made it spicy enough for me, but then, I can't handle really spicy food. Mike could've had them be hotter. Jaycoby didn't want the green pepper strips, but was happy to add olives to his fajita. We also used additional salsa and cilantro as a garnish. So good! Sorry there are no pictures, I didn't think of it while I was cooking :(.

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
From Cooking Light Magazine

INGREDIENTS
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. canola oil
2 t. vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
12 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 2/3 cups)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
-Preheat oven to 350 F.
-Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.

-Weigh or lightly sppon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in minichips.
-Drop dough by tablespoobfuls 2 inches apart on 2-baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 3 dozen.


NUTRITION FACTS (1 cookie): 128 calories; 4.5g fat; 2.3g protein; 20.5 carb; 0.6g fiber; 6mg chol; 0.8mg iron; 106mg sodium; 16mg calc. (My batch only made 28 cookies, instead of 36, so my NF will be off a little bit).

VERDICT
Soft, chewy & delicious! I think the fact that there was no butter really made the flavor of this cookie. It's still sweet and peanut-buttery, but it's not too sweet (and I like sweet). It was a good amount of sweet though. After all, it IS a cookie. But I can't find anything wrong with cookies that make me feel less guilty when I eat them....especially if I happen to have more than one (who are we kidding- I can't just have ONE cookie).

No comments: