Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Is my blog burning?- Deja Vous???

I was looking through my crockpot cookbook and came across a crockpot meatloaf. We really don't have meatloaf very often, but it seems we will be having it two weeks in a row. Also, I am attaching another cookie recipe. I am in charge of bringing a snack for the Moms Club social tomorrow and tried a new, "lighter" recipe, from my Cooking Light magazine (my favorite magazine...so many great recipes). I didn't want to take a sugar-packed snack when there will be lots of kids running around, so this was a better option than my other oatmeal cookies. I will also be taking grapes and Pirate Booty :).

Vegetable-Stuffed Meat Loaf
Better Homes and Gardens- New Crockery Cooker Cook Book

1/2 c. shredded carrot
1/2 c. shredded potato
1 T. cooking oil
1 beaten egg
2 T. milk
1/2 c. fine dry bread crumbs
3 T. snipped parsley (I used dried)
1/2 t. onion salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. pepper
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
3 T. ketchup
1 t. prepared mustard

-In a small skillet, cook carrot and potato in hot oil until tender, stirring occasionally. In a medium mixing bowl combine egg and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, parsley, onion salt, garlic powder and pepper. Add ground meat and mix well.

-Split meat mixture into halves. Spread one half of meat mixture on a piece of wax paper. Put carrot mixture on top of meat. On another piece of wax paper, pat down the other half of the meat. Place on top of carrot mixture and close sides, pinching meat together.

-Cover and cook on low heat for 9.5-11.5 hours or on high heat for 3.5-4 hours. In a bowl combine ketchup and mustard. Spread over meat and cook for last 30 minutes.

Verdict: The bottom was burned, even though I had greased my pan, like it said. BUT, I did cook it on high for 3.5 hours. I think it would've been okay if I'd done it on low. The flavor of the top portion of the meat was really nice and the carrot/potato mix was good too. Jaycoby picked out all of the meat that wasn't burned :) and ate it as fast as he could. I think he prefers this blend to my other Yoshida meatloaf recipe.


Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Cooking Light Magazine


4.5 ounces all -purpose flour (about 1 cup)
1 c. quick-cooking oats
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
6 T. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 large egg
3/4 t. vanilla extract
1/4 c. flaked sweetened coconut
1/4 c. finely chopped dark chocolate (I used semi-sweet choc. chips because that's what I had)

-Preheat oven to 350 F.
-Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a kniefe. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk.

-Place sugars and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add egg, beating well. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in coconut and chocolate. (I made two batches- my first was pretty crumbly, but my second batch was a little thicker. Both turned out nicely).

-Make dough balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the heel of your hand, after dough is on cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.

Verdict: My 1st and 2nd batches were slightly different and I'm not sure why. To my knowledge, I measured everything the same. The 2nd batch was easier to form into balls and didn't bake as crispy. But both batches were yummy. All of the reviews were positive from the mom's and kids. And most importantly, Jaycoby loved them (me too!). I liked this recipe, because it had less butter and sugars, and the batch was a lot smaller. I'm always trying to give my cookies away, because we end up with so many. This made a nice, small batch.

2 comments:

Jenni & Dylan said...

Nice work with all the pictures =)

Jenni & Dylan said...

Nice job!! I love the photos that you put together. :)