Sunday, April 5, 2009

Farmers we shall be????

I received an e-mail this week, through WSMC, about a community garden at Orchard Heights. I would love to have a garden of our own, but with Bailey- "The Backyard Destroyer", it just wouldn't be possible. I thought this might provide exactly what we were wanting.
Mike and I went to the meeting this afternoon (along with a couple of the other West Salem Mom's) and decided we'd get a plot for the Roth family. We're really looking forward to it. Our plot will be next to the other mom's plots (sounds like a cemetery or something), so that we can have "garden days" and help each other out. The plan is to set aside time where we all go and help each other and take turns doing playground shift with the kiddos. It will be interesting, to say the least. I am confident that ours will be somewhat successful, since Mike has farmer running through his blood. I told him that I wouldn't do it without his full support and commitment to help me (I can't keep a cactus alive, so you can imagine how intimidating this is to me).
We went to Orchard Heights tonight to scope out the grounds. Let's just say, we have A LOT of work ahead of us :). Should be fun! Jaycoby had a blast seeing the garden, playing in the huge piles of leaves, collecting sticks ("swords") and just being a boy and getting dirty. He has requested that we grow tomatoes, corn and ravioli's in our garden. Too funny!
Jaycoby by some of the already existing gardens.
Bailey got to come too.
Being all boy :-)
Mike had to be "all boy" too and climb the pile of leaves after Jaycoby (of course!).
Nothing like a good sword fight. Jaycoby was attacking Mike. It was pretty funny (to me).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea. We are starting our seedlings tomorrow. I know nothing about gardening. We don't have a huge backyard, we have a dog, and pool that goes up in the summer. The attempt.... A mini garden will beans, peas, cukes, squash and will buy starter plants for peppers and the tomatos will be in 5 gal buckets. I too am not good with plants so I am hoping that with all the Betty Crocker lifestyle I will pull it off.

Good Luck on yours. Can't wait to read about the journey!!